What if a space provider asks for a payment outside the Spacebase Family platform?
Don’t send them money, and immediately let us know. We’ll never ask you to pay for anything outside of our platform, through email, or through a third-party booker.
Report requests for off-site payment
If a Spacebase Family space provider asks you to pay off-site or through another company, report it to us.
To report a message asking you to pay outside of Spacebase:
- Send an email to your Spacebase Family assistant or to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mention the space ID or add the link of the space in the email.
- Your Spacebase Family assistant will contact you.
If you receive a personal email from anyone (including an email@example.com or any other firstname.lastname@example.org email address) asking you to pay or accept payment off-site, let us know immediately.
On Spacebase Family platforms you can pay per credit card, paypal or invoice. The invoice is always attached in the email with the booking confirmation. If a space provider uses any of these - Western Union, MoneyGram, cashier's check, money order, Liberty Reserve - immediately contact Spacebase.
Types of scams
Never share your email address before a booking is accepted or transfer funds outside the Spacebase Family platform, and always carefully examine emails claiming to be from Spacebas Family. Examples of common scams include:
- Advance Fee Scam: Someone offers to pay you or give you something if you pay through a service outside of Spacebase.
- Phishing Scam: Someone sends an email or link that looks like it's from Spacebase Family or another trusted site. These messages are designed to trick you into providing confidential information such as passwords or other email addresses. Phishing messages may contain malware, which is malicious software that gains access to your computer to gather your personal information, including passwords.
- Travel Scam: Someone offers you a great deal on a listing if you pay or send a deposit using a wire transfer. After receiving your money, they don’t give you the reservation they advertised.
- Overpayment Scam: Someone offers to pay a space's owner more than the price of the reservation, and then asks the space's owner to give them cash to cover the difference.
- Third-party booking scam: Someone offers to reserve and pay for a Spacebase Family listing through their third-party website or service, often claiming to have a Spacebase Family coupon or discount. These reservations are typically paid for using stolen credit cards.
Note: Any reservations that are made outside of Spacebase Family violate our Terms and Conditions. If we identify that a reservation was made through a third-party service, we may cancel the reservation and deactivate the accounts of the person who made the reservation and the guest.